Jason and I went to our Saturday adult session of Stake Conference. At the very end they said, "Elder Gary E Stevenson is in the area and has just called and told us he will be at our Stake Conference tomorrow morning." What?! I was so excited. Over the next 30 minutes my mind hatched a plan.
First off you should know my children know and love the general authorities. They very much know who Gary E Stevenson is and would be just thrilled to be in the same room with him. On my way out the building I stopped and talked to my former visiting teacher (an older woman) and told her that I wanted to get good seat and asked what time she thought I should get here - the session started at 10 and we decided the if I REALLY wanted to sit in the chapel I should go at 6:30 am. I knew it would be a long wait, and hard to get there that early, and hard for Jason to get the kids ready by himself. But I felt a strong desire to show my kids what we do to see a prophet. I wanted them to see how much I love the prophets and what I would sacrifice to see them myself and also to have my children see them. We hear of stories of African saints walking for hours, even days, showing up hours and hours before the meeting just to hear the prophet. I wanted to show the Lord (and my children) that I am just as grateful for the prophets and apostles. Later that night, around 10 o clock my old VT teacher called and said, "I can't stop thinking about you and your kids and I want to help. I will get there at 6:30 and save a spot for you, you come at 8:00 - that way you still can sacrifice 2 hours - but you can get your kids ready first." I argued for a minute with her - but in the end I let her serve me! So Jane got there at 6:30 and got us fourth row back.
In the morning when I told the kids about Elder Stevenson they were as excited as I thought they would be, but the younger three surprised me with a desire to go and wait with me. It didn't even cross my mind that they would want to come wait. So Megan, Noah, Madison and I went at 8 and sat for 2 hours waiting for the meeting to start and Jason brought Brock at 9:30. I went fasting that my children would have a spiritual experience.
They were so excited when he walked in - Noah took these pictures with my phone (I would not have authorized it and took the phone once I saw that he did) but am secretly glad we have them. I was so focused on my children's needs and them having a spiritual experience that I hadn't considered my own spiritual needs. I was going through some stuff that nobody knew about but me. Well, the Lord knew and He saw my efforts. When Elder Stevenson walked in I had one of the most personal, profound spiritual experiences of my life. It came in a way I would have never imagined. I didn't understand it at first. I have come to really understand Joseph Smith and the different versions of the first vision. Deeply spiritual experiences unfold over time as the spirit helps you understand, line upon line, what happened and what you needed to learn from it. I know Elder Stevenson is a prophet of God and a special witness of Jesus Christ.
When he walked in and sat down he looked around and made eye contact with Megan, she smiled and waved and he waved back. She was in heaven. During the meeting Megan 2 pictures of Elder Stevenson with Jesus. She REALLY wanted to shake his hand and give
him the pictures. I didn't know, and
doubted, that he would shake everyone's hand.
As the meeting was ending they opened the doors on the stand and I assumed
they were going to quickly usher him out.
Megan said, "I really want to give this to him, can I pray that I
can give it to him?" Madison said,
"that is a hopeless prayer, look at all these people, you will never get
to meet him". I told both Megan and
Madison that it would be just fine to pray for that and no prayer is hopeless. But I prepared Megan for the reality that she
may not get to give it to him- but maybe we could mail the pictures. After the closing prayer, President Whipple
got up and announced that he would be shaking hands.
We were some of the first through
the line, she gave him the pictures, and after she said, "my prayer was
answered".
It was a great day.



No comments:
Post a Comment