My Mother's Day was great. Jason always does a wonderful job. In the morning I dropped off some cookies for my ministering sisters.
I wrote a blog post on the night of mothers day to go along with the above picture. Here it is:
I just went to go wash my face and go to bed and this is what I saw in the mirror. I almost laughed out loud at my disheveled state. You can't see great, but my mascara is running all under my eyes. Strangely my state didn't match my feelings - which is why I think I was so shocked about what was staring back at me in the mirror. Most days I look tired and done by the end, most days I don't have make-up on, hair done, or wearing anything but yoga pants, but today was a great day... and I still look like this. Ha
Today, Mother's Day, was a great day overall. Jason kills mother's day, I had a wonderful breakfast and dinner that I didn't make or clean up, he does most of the "hard parenting" for the day and I just get to read books and play games, I got an afternoon nap, an extra hour in the morning to read my scriptures, and sweet gifts from my children. But beyond all of that, I felt an extra deep appreciation for what it means to be a woman and a mother. I had a HARD day at church, one that sent me into the lobby in tears with my 2 littles. We are back to second hour with no nursery, Jason was teaching elder's quorum and my best friend, Krista, was teaching her first relief society lesson. I had been looking forward to it all week. We didn't last 2 minutes. I was mad and frustrated. All of the other parents were in the hall with their nursery age children and we just walked and walked and walked. It was almost all dads, because it was mother's day so the dads had the kids. I was feeling sorry for myself that I was out there with "the dads" and not in my lesson, that I had 2 babies with me, that there wasn't a nursery... I wasn't sure who I was mad at... I was just mad and kept holding back tears. Then I saw these little 18 month year olds who have never known anything but the pandemic, who have never been to nursery or story time or birthday parties, they have never sung together or done anything structured together. But they didn't care, they were just running and playing together. So I gathered them up, in the lobby of the church building, sat them in a circle and sang songs with them. We sang pop corn popping, do as I am doing, I am a child of God, head shoulders knees and toes, etc. Most of them looked at me like I was crazy, but after a few minutes they were loving it, and I was happy. I felt a sweet spirit come over me that THIS was the true gift of being a woman. This is what being a mother is on mother's day. Ministering to these precious children and using my talents to brighten their day and let their dad's go to Elders Quorum. Today I felt extra close to heaven... and yet I still look like this. I hope this is what qualifies me for such a wonderful place.



No comments:
Post a Comment