Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Sweets for Syria

I love to watch the news.  I think it is a trait I got from my mom.  She always watched the news and always read the newspaper.  Over my news watching years I have seen a lot of "sad stories" - but I had never been effected like this before.  I felt for the Syrian refugees.  When I was watching git felt like I had to do something - I felt like one of my children were with them.  Not one of my 4 children, but another child I didn't know yet.  Weird, I know.  But week after week I felt that way.  I wanted to do something.  What I really wanted to do was fly over there - pick a family, and bring them back to live in our basement.  That hasn't been ruled out. :)  I kept going back and forth about how to help.  It almost seemed so abstract and not worth it.  There are children right here in Colorado (or America) who are hungry, hurting, and un-safe - why not help them instead?  But the heart wants what it wants and my heart yearned to help the people in Europe.

I talked with a friend about it and out if that conversation started a multi-family, multi-location bake sale.  I, of course, wanted to get the children involved.  We made signs, baked bread, cookies, muffins, brownies, and cakes.


We did not sale those banana's - those were the children's snacks.

It was a long day and a lot of work.  But the children were really involved and cared a lot.  They knew why we doing it and who we were doing it for.  We raised a lot of money - people would put down 20 dollars for a loaf of bread - it was awesome.

On a spiritual note last night I was reading my scriptures and found this: (it is talking about the last days before Christ comes - and Assyria is modern day Syria)

"And there shall be a highway for the remnant of his people which shall be left, from Assyria, like as it was to Israel in the day that he came up out of the land of Egypt."
2 Nephi 21:16

I am no Isaiah scriptorian but it seemed pretty prophetic to me - it is LITERALLY what is happening. Sounds like these refugees could be of the house of Israel.
















No comments: