Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Thursday, November 8, 2018

General Conference

We had such a wonderful general conference weekend.  My sweet friend (and former VT - Jane Guthrie) really spoiled us with wonderful general conference packets and supplies.  She gave each child their own journal and pen (the pen had a pin will on it that really entertained the children).  Megan and Madison took a lot of wonderful notes and learned a lot.  The boys didn't take notes but played a few games and just enjoyed listening.  We did our usual "guess who is coming to dinner" prepping for conference.  

Jason took some pictures - I just love general conference and I love that my children really seem to love it.  That was my goal - and it seems to be fulfilled every six months.  Brock had a soccer tournament this weekend - but he honestly chose to not go and watch conference - I actually didn't give him a choice or anything - when he saw that that dates conflicted he said, "I don't want to miss conference - or make the family miss it". 



This year was especially great because it was Megan's first time coming to the Women's session with me.  I had been looking forward to this for a year.  It is funny - when they first announced it Megan was 5 or so and I didn't have the best attitude.  I thought - "this is my night off - to be with other women and to be spiritually fed and then go out for dinner and dessert and enjoy the night away to get refilled - I don't want to have my kids with me".  Terrible attitude - I know - but true.  Then last year I remember thinking  "I can't wait for next year when Megan can come with me."  IT is funny - begin with older kids isn't draining or hard and i love hearing their thoughts and perspectives and growing our relationship.  

We went with some other women and their daughters to Shake Shack before the session.  

Then we went to the session.  Megan is a wonderful first daughter.  She is very helpful, responsible, and a hard worker.  She is also very nurturing and king.  But mostly she is very spiritual.  She came to the world that way.  As a VERY young child she was always drown to pictures of Christ and specifically angels - her prayers have always been deep, personal and non-repetitive (evens as  young as 2  her prayers were like that).  She has taken notes at general conference as long as she has been able to write.  And she is my only child (as of now) that reads her scriptures on her own and marks them.  She has a tender spirit and I can't wait to see how she serves the Lord in her life.  It brought my heart such joy to sit on the bench next to her and take notes together.  Afterwards we talked about what we learned.  Her biggest take away is that as women we have been given special spiritual gifts to know how to serve people and we often know what people need.  She has talked about it several times in the lastmonth or so as she has tried to help her friends and family members.  

No comments: