We had a few parties leading up to Halloween.
First a picture from the ward Trunk or Treat.
Next trick or treating at the high school with the Neyenhuises
Then one from Megan's class Halloween party.
Then the school Halloween Parade
This is the best picture a 6th grader was willing to take.
So Halloween was our first holiday to come up that was really stressful financially. At this point in the year things got pretty desperate. The kids knew this. We try to be honest with them and set realistic expectations but at the same time ensure that we are safe and fine and taking care of it and they don't need to worry - but they CAN help. From that they all instinctively came up with easy costumes.
Megan wanted to be a butterfly - this is from our dress up bucket and was super easy. She was thrilled - that was the best part - NONE of them acted like it was a sacrifice and were THRILLED with their costumes.
Noah may have been the happiest. He is really into making his own comic books right now. He has created a character named Annoying Thanos (it is a parody off of an avengers character apparently). Noah had written hundreds of comics about this character. He wanted to be him for Halloween. So I made this mask out of foam. He LOVED it. You can see through the eyes. And he just wears normal clothes. I, personally, felt bad for him at first. I asked if he cared if no one knew what he was. He was too excited to be him that he didn't even care. But it turns our he has shared his comics with everyone he knows that almost all the kids at the trunk or treat and in his grade all knew immediately who he was and thought it was awesome. He felt like a rock star.
Brock TRIED to make his costume easy - but it wasn't. He wanted to be a bush. He reasoned we could make it and it would be free since we could just cut bush branches and leaves and glue them around him. His innocents was endearing - and a little frustrating. In the end we, obviously, couldn't make it work. My mom, kindly, stepped in and bought this bush costume for him. His whole goal was to be able to hid and jump out at people - a goal he accomplished.
Madison wanted to be a mermaid. She wanted to use her mermaid tail that she got for her birthday for swimming. It is not made for walking and would most likely get ruined. I asked on our ward Facebook page if anyone had a mermaid costume we could borrow. A mother of one of Madison's friends, Diana Hulme (her son is Oliver) said she did. I was a little puzzled becasue she only has one child - Oliver, who is 7. Why would she have a little girls mermaid costume? But I did't ask and said thank you. She asked if I could come pick it up that next week. We went over and she had bought and made Madison this mermaid out fit and crown. Madison was ELATED - and I was extremely grateful and humbled. This is just a small example of the way our ward has ministered to us this last year. Madison LOVED her costume - but she was being a huge stinker on Halloween night - she did not want to wear a coat or long sleeve or pants under her costume -but it was cold. So this is the best picture I could get.
Our neighborhood children right before trick or treating. This is all within about 10 houses around us. It kind of rocks.
Noah, Mark, Finn, Brock
34 weeks
The girls weren't thrilled at all to have Jason be the one to take them around trick or treating! ha
When they were all done going around our neighborhood I volunteered to take them to other neighborhoods. It was great because I got to stay in the car the whole time - but still feel part of the fun. I actually love doing stuff like this with my kids and their friends. We stayed out until 9:30 and got more candy than we could carry.





















No comments:
Post a Comment